Friday, February 14, 2014

working out, Caribbean style

So, I've come to the realization that I'm "not in Kansas anymore"...I don't get up at 6am and walk my dogs on a leash 2 miles through the neighborhood, get my yoga and Pilates in before 7:30am, and get my day kicking like being shot out of a cannon anymore.
Dogs can be leash free on the beach and I do my daily meditation/yoga/Pilates routine outside on my deck at 5:30 am (I love it!) under the stars before the sun rises (on an island, that's one hour before the weather channel says). When Rasa is done with school, we snorkel to relax and exercise, and explore. The best reefs are just outside our back door.
But, what I recently discovered is that people, here, love being outside: spin classes bring their bikes outside, overlooking the beach and there's a public "park" for working out. At this park, there's a track, outdoor gym equipment, a stadium for sporting events (baseball and soccer is big here), batting cages and tennis courts. It's busiest times are early evenings, after 4:00pm. All ages are running, walking, playing, working out.....then walk home. We actually have sidewalks throughout the town! The coolest thing I've seen are old (I mean OLD!) men riding bikes through town, and we have some wickedly steep hills here. It's really pretty awesome to watch and be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment